Monday, October 22, 2007

Freedom to write what u wanna write, but what sells in the Hip Hop Industry today?

Artists are givin the freedom to basically write about anything they wanna write about in a song. I believe that is what makes hip hop so popular and entertaining. However, the business side of hip hop is purely about makin sales to make more money. In today's industry snap music or up beat love spngs seems to be the most popular way to make sales in today's music industry. People wanna dance and make up different variations of routines to songs that have "snap beats". In those instances the lyrics are not really as important to the listener as the beat and hook are. If the beat and hook are dope, artists will make huge sales for about two months. Also, love songs are attractive in the industry still. Love songs has always been the way to caoture an audience and make money in the industry. Fans relate love songs a lot to their personal lives now days. So with all the freedom that being a music artist brings, it is extreamly important to know what sells to the listerners.

5 comments:

bpicone said...

I've definitely noticed that love songs are popular in the music industry, and even in a lot of the hip hop on the Top 40. It's really important to understand the business side because as you say, artistic freedom is really affected by what sells.

Sandy Dandy said...

I agree that if the hook and beat are there, regardless of the lyrics, it will make money. Sometimes when I hear music on the radio, it has good beats and hooks, but the lyrics are pretty much the chorus. They sing the same stuff over and over, yet it does well because of the beat and the hooks.

Sandy Dandy said...

I agree that if the hook and beat are there, regardless of the lyrics, it will make money. Sometimes when I hear music on the radio, it has good beats and hooks, but the lyrics are pretty much the chorus. They sing the same stuff over and over, yet it does well because of the beat and the hooks.

Mr. TwentyFiveEight said...

Like Hov Said The Games Fucked up Niggaz Beats Is Bangin Nigga ya Hooks Did It Ya Lyrics Didnt Nigga ya Gangsta Looks Did It.. these A&R's and Labels are just looking for a major come up they don't care from who it is if the artist is a 1 hit wonder they will take that 1 hit and keep it moving.

~Mr. TwentyFiveEight!

Dre1 said...

I also agree with that because if you turn on the tv the first thing you are goin to see is a snap song. then if you listen to what the artist is saying in some of those songs if will make you laugh because you would think this person can not be a rapper. I am from a place where snap music is very popular but now since it is so big in the hiphop world right not it makes people thing that is all the music we listen to don south. I also agree with you when you talked about how artist have to make whatever is going to sell. me personal I fill that have a lot to do with the people who are saying what gets played and what dont, because if one company see somebody making some money off a snap song then they are going to want to do the same thing. That is why you see so much snap music right now. I also think if that was reversed and all you see and here is deep poetic music people would only want to here that.